You want to know how to be a better salesman. First know that every salesperson once was a beginner. You started out guns blazing ready to set the world on fire. But as the days started turning into weeks and weeks into months, you take note that you are not where you want to be.
You make your quota of cold calls each day. The problem is, the sales are not there. No money. What could you possibly be doing wrong?
How to Be a Better Salesman
Let me ask you a question. Do you get paid to make cold calls or do you get paid to make sales? I think the answer is obvious. It should also obvious to you that there is a problem with cold calling. It is a waste of time if you are doing it in the since of the old style cold calling. Nobody likes the interruption from some stranger they know nothing about.
You don’t have to take my word on this, just look at the number of cold calls you make and compare them with how much money you make. I can tell you the ratio is lousy. So why do you do it? If you want to know how to be a better salesman, keep reading.
Eliminate the Old Style Cold Calling
When you stop using this one method, it will put you on a direct path to making more money. Okay, so your boss tells you that you have to make cold calls. So I suggest you do it. But if you want to know how to be a better salesman, you have to adapt to new rules. You want to make more sales not cold calls. So what do you do?
5 Tips to Be a Better Salesman
You may not realize it, but you already know how to sell. You know your product, you know its value to the customer, you just have to learn how to communicate that to your prospects and customers.
- 1. Read. You should be reading everything you can like this excellent little book by Jeffrey Gitomer. I’ve been reading his material for years and it never gets old.
2. Learn. When you read you will learn how you can get better at what you do. Educating yourself is key if you want to be a better salesman.
3. Network. Yep, network. Get to know everybody you can regardless of what they do. You never know when a contact will lead to a referral and then a sale. Better yet, a lifelong customer.
4. Add Value. Every time you open your mouth to speak, be sure you are adding value. Never discuss price. Talk value. If you don’t know how, refer to number one.
5. Believe. You have to believe in yourself, your company, your product and your customers and prospects. You have to believe you can before you can. Once you do, everything becomes much easier.
Bonus. Keep Learning. Never quit reading. Never quit learning. Never quit in your quest to learn how to be a better salesman. Continuous learning is part of being a great salesman.
After 32 years in the sales industry, I’m still reading. I still want to learn how to be better. Writing this blog is another way that helps me get better. Which by-the-way is something you can do to set yourself apart from your competitors. Start your own blog and refer prospects and customer to it for your expertise. Your blog is your personal sales assistant that works 24/7/365. What are you waiting on?
In short, if you want to know how to be a better salesman, you have to be willing to put in the necessary time to do what it takes to become great. You have to believe.
If you enjoyed the article by Jeffrey Gitomer, I suggest you read all his books and even subscribe to his email newsletter. In fact, when you subscribe to my blog, I’ll be sure to send you sales nuggets, which are bits of information you can apply to your selling arsenal.
It’s time to get better at what you do.
What are you doing to become a better salesperson? Share your thoughts.